Today was mostly about killing time!
We’re due to fly home at around 1830 this evening. Even with a late checkout from our hotel (11:00AM) we still have around 4 hours to kill. So, coffee shops, bars and souvenir shopping are the only things on our itinerary today. That and stealing free WIFI.
Talking of which, we’re currently sat within Father Ted’s original Irish pub in the centre of Auckland. Throughout my worldly travels there has always been one universal constant – Irish pubs. They. Are. Everywhere! Even in China! So thank you Father Ted’s for the use of your free WIFI!
Sheena and I were chatting over one of many cuppas this morning, and we came up with a best of list for things we have experienced in New Zealand.
Our Best of in New Zealand
- Best camp site based on facilities – Top 10 Holiday park, Timaru
- Best camp site based on location – Lakeside Holiday Park, Lake Tekapo
- Best hotel based on facilities – Millennium Hotel, Lake Taupo
- Best hotel based on location – Novotel, Wellington
- Best camp site shower – Lakeside holiday park, Wanaka
- Best hotel shower – Novotel, Wellington
- Best breakfast – Roadside cafe, Omarama. Eggs, Bacon & Toast
- Best lunch – Fat Dog, Rotorua. Dogs bollox burger
- Best dinner – Muse, Wellington. Fish & Chips
- Sheena impressed by – Hotel chains having dedicated laundry facilities for $2 a pop
- Frank impressed by – The scenery!
Some useless facts and figures
- We stayed in 12 different locations across New Zealand
- We drove approximately 3000Km in the South Island and approximately 1200Km in the North Island
- Which makes for a total of 2625 miles driven across New Zealand!
Anyway, onwards to Auckland airport and home!